So it was a bit of a frustrating day, today. Late yesterday I was struggling with differentiating between the bone armour and the unpainted areas of the model, so I had the “bright idea” To apply an oil wash to the armour, to give it a bit more definition.

Unfortunately, it didn’t turn out very well. It shifted the colour of the armour closer to a dark vomit brown, with no way of fixing it without a lot of layering – which is far more work than I was prepared to do on this project, at this stage. Do some sort of repaint was on the cards.

You might notice that many of the models in the photo above are now a very dark colour – for simplicity, I’ve painted over the armour in a dark metallic colour – Burnt Iron from the Vallejo Metal Color line. I went with this as it is effectively one coat coverage and flows incredibly well from the brush, making it fairly easy to cover up the old armour colour.

I’ve still got the Knights and second unit of Warriors to redo, but I’m hopeful I can blast through them too tomorrow… although the Knights are incredibly detailed and fiddly. Avoiding the non-armour sections on them is a pain, as I found when I did one as a test

So … yeah. The project has already taken an unexpected turn. Let’s hope it’s the last time , as I know if I encounter too many issues I’m liable to get disheartened and abandon it 😕

After a bit of a marathon – but last minute – airbrushing session, I managed to get the basic zenithal highlight applied to my Slaves to Darkness army. Nothing too fancy, but enough to establish the main armour colour, and set it up for washes and weathering. It also gives me a nice base for using Contrast paints on unimportant details like belts and boots.

Today I had several jobs I needed to do, so I didn’t get a massive amount of hobby done, but I did manage the most important step for my Slaves to Darkness – I got the first layer down on their armour. (The colour is Trench Brown by Colour Forge, which is a match to Steel Legion Drab by Citadel).

Hopefully, tomorrow, I’ll manage to get all the airbrushed highlighting stages done, which should just leave filling in the other details with simple base costs and/or Contrast..

Not the most exciting update today, but an important step forward: todays hobby tine was spent priming all of the Slaves to Darkness that I’d been building all week. They’ll be getting another spray tomorrow, of the shadow colour of the scheme I’m planning to do, then I’ll need to break out the airbrush to finish off the armour.

The other night I found the rest of the Chaos Warriors I’d bought 11 years ago, so todays hobby was spent clipping them off the sprues, cleaning them up a little, and assembling them.

The keen eyed among you will notice they’re partially painted – apparently I had decided to paint this batch while they were still on the sprue. I won’t be sticking with this paint job: they’ll get a painted over at the sand time as the rest of the army. The previous layers were airbrushed on, so they’re thin enough I shouldn’t need to strip paint off the models.

Adding to the Jelson Darrock I built on day 1, I’ve built the rest of my Order of Azyr miniatures. All of them were a treat to put together, and it was good to get the Ven Denst’s built, as they were a birthday present from back in February!

I do need to clean up a few more spots on the models before I can put paint on them; my eyes have been playing up recently, which makes it hard to see mould lines and missed sprue connection points … but I know they must be there, so I’ll go back over with a sanding sponge once I’m able to focus on things up close again!

I’m late posting these Chaos Sorcerers (and familiars) but they were built yesterday, on day 3 of my hobby streak.

The models are the Sorcerer Lord that’s been around for years, and the Warhammer+ subscriber exclusive miniature “Mibylorr Darkfang”. Both were super simple to build. Depending what other models I pick up for my growing Chaos army, I might use Mibylorr for my leader in a Path To Glory campaign.

I’m trying out this hobby streak thing, to see if I can build some momentum again with my building and painting again. First up is Jelson Darrock from Cursed City, which I received through the mail just this morning! There’s still some final clean up to do before I can paint, but even a small step is a start.