I have a lot of posts to catch-up on… as always. Not much painting, for a variety of reasons, but plenty of assembly and “making” projects. Up first is a few units of Men-At-Arms, that will eventually be part of a 3D-printed approximation of the Bretonnian army I had as a teenager for Warhammer Fantasy Battles 5th Edition. So far I’ve got:
And the first of the “nobles” in the form of a Sorceress.
I think I need more Bowmen and Spearmen to match what I originally had, then I can move onto the real fun part – the various types of Bretonnian Knight!
The last miniature painted in January, but not quite the last of my January Catch-up! (Yes, I’m conscious we’re nearly halfway through February)
After painting up all those skeletons earlier in the month, I needed something to lead them. I’d had one of the heroes from Cursed City sitting on my shelf for a while, intending to use it as a Necromancer in the bigger Soulblight army, so it seemed a natural choice.
Apart from the mask/gold trim and the staff, everything was painted with a Contrast Paint or equivalent, over a zenithal primer + white drybrush starting point. I wanted a fairly “classic” feel, so I stuck to the pallete of purple (Arcane Purple), blue (Ultramarines Blue), and red (Life Red), which were all over 4th Edition Undead armies. Most areas are unhighlighted, but those that were were done by mixing Ivory into the original starting colour.
For something that took less than an hour to paint, I’m really happy with how this turned out!
I’ve been itching to create a retro-inspired, flocked green gaming board for ages. With the new sizes for tables and game modes for both 40K and AOS, it’s finally feasible for us to have a game board for the kitchen table without it being a massive cludge. Basically, game sizes are now based on multiples of the Warcry/Killteam-sized mats (22.5 x 30 inches), so the smallest size of 2 mats fits comfortably on the half extended table, and the next size up of 4 mats fits on the extended table, with a bit of overhang.
Anyway, Armies on Parade have also moved to accommodate the new mat sizes, so it felt like an ideal excuse to make the retro board of my dreams. Flocking is a bit of a lost art in Warhammer, these days. The trick is to build it up in sections and layers, sealing each as you go. I found using a sieve was invaluable too – especially if using foam flock, which has a tendancy to clump together. For the board above, I used a 2:1 mix of Geek Gaming light green foam flock to mid green foam flock, and probably used 6 bags overall to achieve the final finish.
This is just the first board. There will be another one created to match in due course.