Adding to my slowly growing Crusade backlog, I’ve kitbashed some Bladeguard with parts from the new Sword Brethren squad and upgrade sprue. New weapons, backpacks, helmets, and helmets help to integrate the unit into the army a bit better.
I’ve made a start on my Black Templars Crusade forces – the first Crusader squad, Marshal, and Emperor’s Champion have been assembled. Tentatively, I’ve got another Crusader squad, some Intercessors, and 2 Dreadnoughts to build, then I can start thinking about how I want to expand. This is going to be my main project for the foreseeable, and you’ll see one of the ways I’m planning to add some flavour to the army in the pictures above.
Each unit is going to receive a squad banner of some description, reminiscent of regiments standards from older editions of Warhammer Fantasy Battle. One of the things which struck me from a lot of the Black Templars artwork was the amount of banners, standards, and pennants visible. This one below in particular caught my eye:
So rather than just do “regular” back banners on sergeants, I figured I’d turn things up to 11!
Of course, if every unit has a standard, I’m going to have to do something extra special for the Ancient carrying the banner representing the entire Crusade…