In a burst of unexpected productivity, I built on the success of clearing some of my terrain backlog by… painting some more, smaller, terrain pieces!
First up was some “Sector Fronteris” terrain. I’d been itching to try our Lupercal Green and Sons of Horus Green, and this seemed like the perfect oppotunity. Both colours were applied zenithally over the black primer, then at the end I gave everything a light drybrush of Sons of Horus Green + Hellbound Flesh by Scale 75.
Metals were picked out in Gun Metal, then had some new rust effects from Ammo By Mig applied over the top as an experiment.
Ruined edges were given a light spray with black, to simulate soot.
I had some small scatter pieces left over from the Azyrite Ruins set, so I painted them in much the same process. The real only difference was I picked out some details as bronze – see the Realmgate notes below – and applied some weathering effects to the fountains – puddles, leaves, and some patinas to the bronze.
Finally, I painted a Baleful Realmgate that I’ve had sitting basecoated since I first bought-in to Age of Sigmar.
Over a Mechanicus Standard Grey primer, I sprayed Reddish Grey and Stone Grey, both by AK Interactive. The magic effect was given a spray of white ink, then given several thin layers of Neon Orange ink, letting it fade out towards the tips. Bronze areas were picked out in Gun Metal, drybrushed with Brass, then given some a turquise oil wash for weathering. Skulls were picked out with Skeleton Horde. The XPVC base was painted German Camo Black-Brown, in anticipation of some burnt/dead grass flock or static grass being applied.
As a quick palette cleanser, I painted this “Dwarven Graffiti Stone,” by Fenris games. Primarily it was an excuse to play with glow in the dark pigments from Green Stuff World. My plan is to attach this to one of some scenery pieces I’ve been working on, as a simple “point of interest”.
Continuing on from the Ogors, I Painted up some scenery I’d had lying around for ages (I think these were left over from the previous Kill Team starter set)
The theme for January is very much “just get it done,” and with that in mind, the paint scheme is pretty simple. Back when I came into 40K, around the launch of 2nd Edition, all the buildings seemed to be painted using dark blue-greys, and I was feeling in a retro mood, so that’s what I’ve gone for here.
Everything was base coated with Dark Blue Grey from Monument Hobbies, then highlighted with drybrushed layers of Shadow Grey and Wolf Grey from Coat D’Arms. A couple of details were then picked out with a dark silver. Not the most exciting paint job, but I’m happy with how they turned out. I might go back and add some rust on the metal, but that’s a job for later!
After getting the flocking done on my board, the next thing that came to hand to work on were the trees to go on top of it.
I did consider scratch building my own, retro-style, trees, but I quickly realised that was too much of a time investment for right now.
These have had a simple 3-stage process with different spray cans: black, dark brown, then Wraithbone. I’ll be going back over the trunks with some washes, to knock the colour back a few steps – it’s too bright for now.
I’ve been itching to create a retro-inspired, flocked green gaming board for ages. With the new sizes for tables and game modes for both 40K and AOS, it’s finally feasible for us to have a game board for the kitchen table without it being a massive cludge. Basically, game sizes are now based on multiples of the Warcry/Killteam-sized mats (22.5 x 30 inches), so the smallest size of 2 mats fits comfortably on the half extended table, and the next size up of 4 mats fits on the extended table, with a bit of overhang.
Anyway, Armies on Parade have also moved to accommodate the new mat sizes, so it felt like an ideal excuse to make the retro board of my dreams. Flocking is a bit of a lost art in Warhammer, these days. The trick is to build it up in sections and layers, sealing each as you go. I found using a sieve was invaluable too – especially if using foam flock, which has a tendancy to clump together. For the board above, I used a 2:1 mix of Geek Gaming light green foam flock to mid green foam flock, and probably used 6 bags overall to achieve the final finish.
This is just the first board. There will be another one created to match in due course.