I’ve gone and started another project. This time it’s slightly different. For the last couple of years I’ve been itching to do a retro-inspired 40K Space Marines army in the 2nd Edition style. I’ve gone back-and-forth on how to start this a few times, ranging from completely old models from the era, to completely modern Primaris units painted in the old style.

Well, inspired by a recent Snipe & Wib video, I’ve made a start using older – but not necessarily of the time – model kits. This lets me have the style of the original army, but without being at the whims of the secondhand market, or dealing with metal models – except where I specifically want to. So I’m using the “current” Tactical Squad kit as the base, along with an old plastic Dreadnought (with a multi-melta sourced from eBay), and a few other bits and bobs.

I’m not planning on it being a massive project; I plan on getting the bulk painted over the festive break, and then might add small extras throughout the year… it’s just one of those ideas my brain kept coming back to, so I knew I had to get it out of the way sooner or later!

I’ve been itching to create a retro-inspired, flocked green gaming board for ages. With the new sizes for tables and game modes for both 40K and AOS, it’s finally feasible for us to have a game board for the kitchen table without it being a massive cludge. Basically, game sizes are now based on multiples of the Warcry/Killteam-sized mats (22.5 x 30 inches), so the smallest size of 2 mats fits comfortably on the half extended table, and the next size up of 4 mats fits on the extended table, with a bit of overhang.

Anyway, Armies on Parade have also moved to accommodate the new mat sizes, so it felt like an ideal excuse to make the retro board of my dreams. Flocking is a bit of a lost art in Warhammer, these days. The trick is to build it up in sections and layers, sealing each as you go. I found using a sieve was invaluable too – especially if using foam flock, which has a tendancy to clump together. For the board above, I used a 2:1 mix of Geek Gaming light green foam flock to mid green foam flock, and probably used 6 bags overall to achieve the final finish.

This is just the first board. There will be another one created to match in due course.