I finally got around to painting the “Oldhammer” plastic skeletons from the 1990’s, which I bought in the lead up to the Soulblight Grave Lords release. Colour me disappointed when the new edition of Age of Sigmar removed the chance to build massive units of skeletons!

Nevertheless, it would be a shame to let these guys never see the light of day just because of some rules. Given the size of the batch I needed to keep the painting process as easy as possible if I wasn’t going to go insane!

The skeletons were primed with Trench Brown from Colour Forge. I’ve become a big fan of the Colour Forge spray primers – they have good coverage, are reliable, and have several which colour match to GW colours well. From there, I airbrushed on Vallejo Bone White from slightly above, leaving some brown in the recesses. Spears and any armour pieces were painted black, and their tips/plates drybrushed with Gun Metal from Coat D’Arms. Any bindings or straps were picked out with Rhinox Hide. From here, the entire model was given a thin wash with a mix of brown and green oil paints (Burnt Umber and Sap Green, if I remember rightly).

The shields started from a black primer, with the icons kept separate at first. The trimand icons were painted with Decayed Metal, and the backs drybrushed with Wood. The shields faces were tidied up with Coal Black, and the icons glued in place. The trim and icons were given a wash of Turquoise Light oil paint, with dabs of thicker oil paint to provide variation.

Bases were painted Dark Teal, washed with Dark Kraken, and lightly drybrushed with Ionrach Skin. The rims were painted with Midnight Blue.

I’ve been really lax about posting up the things I’ve worked on in January – and it’s been a productive month! I managed to get through a few projects which had sat around for a while unfinished. I’ll be posting them all over the next couple of days, and I’ll try to be more disciplined in posting as I go from here on out!

First up we’re a small handful of Ogors which I got from the Feast of Bones box set. I didn’t anticipate these would be the first thing I finished from that set!

The paint jobs are incredibly simple. Over a zenithal base coat I applied mainly Contrast paints; blue and yellow for the clothes, brown for the leather, orange for beards and hair, red for the gut-plates, and finally, some of the skin tones. The skin was then roughly layered up with some paints from the new Army Painter skin tones set. Metals were painted then washed, with only a quick highlight applied. Everything else was pretty much left with just the Contrast layer.

Bases were painted Goblin Green as I felt the overall scheme came across as a bit “retro” once it was finished.

I’ve been itching to create a retro-inspired, flocked green gaming board for ages. With the new sizes for tables and game modes for both 40K and AOS, it’s finally feasible for us to have a game board for the kitchen table without it being a massive cludge. Basically, game sizes are now based on multiples of the Warcry/Killteam-sized mats (22.5 x 30 inches), so the smallest size of 2 mats fits comfortably on the half extended table, and the next size up of 4 mats fits on the extended table, with a bit of overhang.

Anyway, Armies on Parade have also moved to accommodate the new mat sizes, so it felt like an ideal excuse to make the retro board of my dreams. Flocking is a bit of a lost art in Warhammer, these days. The trick is to build it up in sections and layers, sealing each as you go. I found using a sieve was invaluable too – especially if using foam flock, which has a tendancy to clump together. For the board above, I used a 2:1 mix of Geek Gaming light green foam flock to mid green foam flock, and probably used 6 bags overall to achieve the final finish.

This is just the first board. There will be another one created to match in due course.

I really hated painting the newer-but-just-replaced Skeleton Warriors (the ones from the previous Start Collecting! set), so I had an urge to get hold of the older kit from 1994ish. These are obviously much simpler, with no spindly rags and kibble adorning them, so should be much simpler to paint. I’ve managed to get hold of 40, all-told, so can bulk out my shambling undead hordes quite substantially.