This is labeled as a work in progress, but the model is basically done, barring a couple of touch-ups, and actually attaching it to a base.
By-and-large, the process for most details were as per this tutorial from Cult of Paint:
The gloves and many other parts of the scheme were also painted this way. I deviated with the red, trying to get a deeper colour, and the black robes were painted by going from Valejjo Model Color Black > Scale 75 Eclipse Grey > Scale 75 Graphene Grey.
The skin was painted with Scale75 Artist Dark Brown Ochre, blended through Scale 75 Artist Wood, then adding small highlights by mixing in Scale 75 Artist Buff. I tried to paint in the eyes, but my own eyes are no longer up to the task, so I ended up just shading in the sockets. I might give it one last go, when I do the final corrections, but the last thing I want is to be obscuring detail – or worse – make a mistake that means repainting the whole face.
The materials on the model representing a fabric (or similar) material were given a coat of Ammo Ultra-Matte varnish, to differentiate them from the satin finish of the armour.
It’s the last belated January post! this time it’s a conversion, and something an extra bit special (to me) – a custom Shield-Captain/Shield-Commander to lead the Adeptus Custodes force I’ve had as “work in progress” since at least 2018.
It’s based on the amazing Bastian Carthalos miniature, with parts from across the Custodes range. The torso, and one shoulder pad, is from Trajan Valoris, the hands and spear from the Wardens kit, and the rest comes from the Allarus Terminators.
This was by far the most complicated conversion I’ve done in a very long time! I had to do some sculpting with Milliput on the cloak, to get parts to blend together, and there was a lot of work to get the torso pieces to fit together. There was lots of gap filling, and more than a bit of swearing as things either didn’t work how I wanted to first time, or turned out to be a lot more fiddly! Still, I’m really happy with how it’s turned out. I’ll have a post soon (in February!) to show off the painted version.
Adding to my slowly growing Crusade backlog, I’ve kitbashed some Bladeguard with parts from the new Sword Brethren squad and upgrade sprue. New weapons, backpacks, helmets, and helmets help to integrate the unit into the army a bit better.
One of my favourite models from the refreshed Stormcast Eternals line, and an absolute joy to build. I wasn’t a fan of the regular head, so I swapped it out for one from an easy-to-build Castigator set, to keep it in-line with my other helmetless Stormcasts.