I started assembling these Necrons while I was waiting for a work webcast to start – 3 Warriors, a Royal Warden, and a plasmacyte. There’s 3 Skorpekh Destroyers still to build, then I’ll be caught up with the Necron half of Imperium.
After getting the flocking done on my board, the next thing that came to hand to work on were the trees to go on top of it.
I did consider scratch building my own, retro-style, trees, but I quickly realised that was too much of a time investment for right now.
These have had a simple 3-stage process with different spray cans: black, dark brown, then Wraithbone. I’ll be going back over the trunks with some washes, to knock the colour back a few steps – it’s too bright for now.
Adding more from the Indomitus set to my Ultramarines – a squad of Eradicators, and a slightly converted Chaplain. I originally started these at the tail-end of March, and they’ve sat on my desk ever since, waiting for me to get some motivation to make even a little progress on them. Today I finished the main armour colours, blocked in other areas, and made a start on some gold details.
The last Reiver from my mini-of-the-month paint-along, and possibly my favourite!
The painting process was very simple for this one! Starting from the Mechanicus Standard Grey primer, I airbrushed very thin layers of Tamiya Flat White to build up the transition and gradient. Once I was happy with the progression from grey to white, I pin-washed the model with Paynes Grey. Red details and markings were painted with Flesh Tearers Red Contrast paint.
Almost done with the Reivers! Today is a Dark Angel, and the painting process is largely the same as before, just changing the colours:
Zenithal white over the primer; from below, spray thin layers of Dark Angels Green Contrast paint. The idea is to build it up so it’s very dark in the shadow areas, but fades into the white as you reach the upper surfaces. Then, Warp Lightning Contrast paint is sprayed from above, covering the white and mixing in the other areas to create the transition. Finish off with a black oil wash in the recesses.
Another day, another Reiver. This time it’s an Ultramarine, and I went with a variant colour scheme, rather than the standard Chapter colour. I wanted to try out something I might do with any Phobos units I want to add to my small Ultramarines collection.
This time there were no Contrast paints involved, although the process was very similar: zenithal white over the primer, then apply a thin layer of Dark Reaper. As an experiment I used Nighthaunt Gloom Technical paint through the airbrush to get the highlight. Then I pin washed with black oil paint. The shoulder pad was painted to match my existing Ultramarines, and the basing also matches.
Another Primaris Reiver for mini-of-the-month, this time an Imperial Fist. I was tempted to go with a black or dark grey scheme, like some of the old Heresy variations, but the idea of a “terror troop” in bright yellow armour was a dichotomy I couldn’t resist!
As with the Blood Angel, the method is quick and simple: zenithal white, airbrush Iyanden Yellow Contrast paint, lightly zenithal over that with Phallanx Yellow, then recess shade with Burnt Umber oil paint. The base was given a coat of dark brown texture paint, then had random splodges of pigment powders swirled and blended over it.
The GW “miniature of the month” is the Space Marine Primaris. I have somewhere around 40 of these built, primed in grey, and sitting in a box waiting for me to do something with them, so this seemed like the ideal reason to use up a couple of them.
This was a suuuuper quick paint job. It’s a zenithal spray of white over the grey, followed by thin coats of Blood Angels Red Contrast paint. Then, from below I sprayed thinned Flesh Tearers Red Contrast paint into the shadows. All the other details were given a simple basecoat of a relevant colour, then the everything was given a recess shade with an oil wash (I think it was Burnt Umber) Transfers were applied, then it was varnished and based. The whole thing only took a couple of hours.
I’m genuinely quite surprised how quickly I managed to get through this set of miniatures. It might only be a small number, but they’re to a reasonable standard and include a character and centrepiece model. I had expected to be working on these right until the end of the month. I’m very tempted to keep going with the Ultramarines after this!
It’s a fairly simple paint scheme, but it’s grown on me as time has gone on. I say these are finished, but they do still need a final coating of matte varnish to reduce the shine from the earlier stages.